Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Sunday, November 23, 2008: Clem Mikeska's Bar-B-Q (Temple, Texas)




Brad and I timed our return to Austin from Dallas just right, passing through Temple at lunchtime. The plan was to make our second visit to Schoepf's, b/c we thought Clem Mikeska's Bar-B-Q (another place we wanted to try; just 6 miles north of Schoepf's) was closed on Sundays. As I passed the exit, I saw people going into Mikeska's. As Brad slept, I made an executive decision to turn around at the next exit and head back. Easier said than done, since the northbound exit was closed. (For those heading north on 35, take Exit 299, until Exit 300 is reopened.) After a couple of trips through Temple, we finally pulled into the parking lot of Mikeska's new restaurant (moved from their former spot about 3 months ago).

General observations about, and reactions to, Clem Mikeska's: Not a traditional pit-BBQ joint (no pit out back; cooking indoors). Kitschy Texas décor. Good spot for families. Affordable prices. Lots of side dishes. Lemons for your iced tea. Great service (Angela Miseska was especially friendly and accommodating. I thoroughly enjoyed my conversation with her.).

Brad and I were hungry and make quick work of everything on our tray. Overall, the meal was pretty decent, although when I return I will know what to order and what not to order, so I have no doubt I will like the food more next time. The brisket was my favorite, and the sirloin and sausage were pretty good. The half chicken was small and unspectacular. The pork ribs were not good at all. The green beans and cornbread were good additions. The sauce was unique. I liked it okay; Brad not at all. We didn't try the turkey or ham, so I'd like to order both next time.

Drew's scores – Brisket: 8.4; Sirloin: 7.9; Pork ribs: 6; Sausage: 8; Chicken: 7.2; Atmosphere: 7.5; Overall experience: 8

Brad's scores – Brisket: 7; Pork ribs: 6.5; Sausage: 7.5; Chicken: 7; Atmosphere: 7; Overall experience: 7

Overall Man-Up Score: 7.5


Clem Mikeska's Bar-B-Q on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

Martin said...

I'm a huge fan of this blog. It's inspired me to get out of Austin and make my own BBQ trips. I would suggest the following, however: make a list of the best places (by scores) for different types of food. One list for brisket, one for pork ribs, one for beef ribs....

Drew Thornley said...

Martin: First, thanks for reading the blog. I am really glad you like. Let me know if you hit up a good BBQ joint. Second, funny you suggested scores by food type. I was planning on doing just that. Once I have the time to go back through every score, I will post the results. Stay tuned, and thanks again for reading.