Friday, May 22, 2009

Saturday, May 2, 2009: Donn's BBQ (Austin, Texas)




This was our first trip to Donn’s BBQ at the Y in Oak Hill, on the edge of Austin. I liked it a little more than the ten others who made the short trip. The service was great, and the food was better than I expected. As far as the places we’ve been in Austin go, I put Donn’s below Rudy’s but firmly above places like The Pit and Green Mesquite (which has a second location in the Y, as well). Way above RJ’s. A solid, if unspectacular, choice, if you aren’t up for a drive past the Y to Opie’s or The Salt Lick.

I didn’t order any, but I tried a bite of a beef rib, and this is the first place I’ve been where I liked them. The pork ribs were average but at least tasted better than they looked. The brisket was good, but the turkey and ham were better. Both had great flavor and were quite moist. I liked the slaw, and I liked the squash-zucchini medley even better. The green beans were interesting.

Jason, Russell, & Todd weren’t impressed. Jason: “Brisket was ok; very moist but lacked much flavor…I needed salt and I don’t feel I like a lot of salt. Sausage is hard to mess up; had good flavor and taste; but didn’t really stand out. Pork ribs were not very good; I was not a fan.” Russell: “Sweet tea was their best item. Pork ribs their best meat but still somewhat subpar. Brisket a little roast beef-ish. Was disappointed in sides because I’d heard good things that raised my expectations. Liked the atmosphere, though.” Todd: My visit to Donn's with the group was a bit underwhelming. While the sides were good, I thought the BBQ was a little less than to be desired. The ribs were tough and the brisket was missing that ‘something special.’ All-in-all, Donn's is a good place, but is not on the top of my list for a second visit.”

Jason’s scores – Brisket: 8.2; Sausage: 8.5; Pork ribs: 7; Overall experience: 8.3

Russell’s scores – Brisket: 7.8; Pork ribs: 8.5; Sides: 7.5; Sweet tea: 8.8; Atmosphere: 9; Overall experience: 8.55

Todd’s scores – Brisket: 7.2; Pork ribs: 6.8; Macaroni & cheese: 8.5; Sweet tea: 8.5; Overall experience: 7.5

Amir’s scores – Brisket: 9; Pork ribs: 7.5; Sausage: 7.5; Overall experience: 8

Drew’s scores – Brisket: 9; Pork ribs: 8; Ham: 9.2; Turkey: 9.25; Overall experience: 8.7

Overall Man-Up Score: 8.21

Donn's Texas Bar-B-Que on Urbanspoon

No comments: