Thursday, September 24, 2009

Lunch #3 in Boerne: Fritze's BBQ & Catering





My final stop of the day in Boerne was Fritze's BBQ & Catering, on the north end of Main Street. Fritze's was opened in December 2007 by David Fritze, with whom I had the pleasure of spending the better part of my visit. Housed in a former furniture store, Fritze's is decked out in comfortable Texas decor, with seating available in the main dining area, the front and back patios, and the beer garden (in which the host live music from time to time).

Unlike most Texas BBQ joints, Fritze's uses an indoor rotisserie to cook their meats. They have one smoker out back, but it's not used unless the rotisserie is on the fritz (pun intended). Fritze's does a large catering and drive-thru business, and they always strive to be family friendly. They have daily specials, even do BBQ baked potatoes, and, according to David, "will never fry anything." David told me the next menu endeavor will be breakfast tacos.

As this was my third lunch of the day, my appetite wasn't huge, so I sampled the brisket, pulled pork, sauce, and green beans. The brisket was similar to the brisket I had earlier in the day at Bar D BBQ: thinly sliced and smokey; the pulled pork was thin and stringy, with a mix of inside and outside cuts; the green beans (my first side of the day) were served hot, but that's all I remember about them (The vegetables at Fritze's come with unlimited free refills.); and the sauce was great: thin, peppery, tangy, and piping hot. David sent me home with a half chicken, which I reheated in my oven and downed that night for dinner (very good). Next time I'm there, the main event will be the half chicken with sauce.

David, Katie, and everyone at Fritze's were wonderful hosts, and it seems like they've got a good thing going at 926 North Main Street in Boerne. It was easy to see that David, who's spent his entire career in various positions in the food/beverage industry, truly loves what he does. Stop in to see him, next time you're in Boerne, and stay tuned for more pics.

Fritze's barbeque on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

Dallas BBQ Catering said...

Sounds like a great place. Did you really get the BBQ flavor from rotisserie cooked meat though? I cant imagine the meat had any of that smokey taste. Thanks for the review!

Anonymous said...

AHA! I knew there was something amiss about that que. It's passable, but never had a very developed smoke ring which made me think they started in the pit and finished in an oven. But yes, the staff is fantastic and the unlimited sides are a bonus to insure I never leave hungry.