Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Stop 1 of 3 on first visit to Boerne: Bar D BBQ






The first of my 3 BBQ lunches in Boerne on Wednesday, August 26, was at Bar D BBQ (1481 South Main St.). Bar D, conveniently located just off I-10 and open daily, had only been open for 3 months when I stopped in. As soon as I walked in, I was greeted by Merry, who took me under her wing and kept me comfortable my entire visit. She seemed to love working at Bar D, and I appreciated her spirit and passion so much.

I tried the turkey, brisket, a pork rib, and a quarter chicken (dark). The turkey was cool (not hot or warm) yet moist and flavorful. Definitely not overcooked and dry, as we find it at many places. The brisket was sliced thin, and it had a nice smokey flavor. The pork rib was chewy but at least, like the brisket, was smokey. The half chicken was fantastic. Hot and moist, with a cracked-pepper rub. Easily the best thing I tried, followed by the brisket, the turkey, and the pork rib. I didn't try the sausage but left with a link. The 18-ingredient sauce was too sweet for my tastes.

After lunch, Perry, the owner, was kind enough to show me the pit and answer some questions. Perry, Merry, and everyone at Bar D were gracious hosts. If y'all are reading this, thank you again for your hospitality! More pics on the way.

Bar D BBQ on Urbanspoon

No comments: