Saturday, January 14, 2012

Gameday meal at Fat Hen Grocery (New Orleans, LA)

This past Monday, the first thing I did when I woke was head out St. Charles Av. to Fat Hen Grocery. I needed a good meal to start my BCS-championship gameday. I knew the day would end well (It did.), so I wanted it to start well, too. I got to FHG around 10AM, so they weren't serving BBQ (only breakfast), but they were nice enough to make me a sandwich from the deli. I sat the counter and thoroughly enjoyed my smoked turkey and jack cheese on raisin bread, collard greens with pulled pork (piping hot, excellent flavor, and, thankfully, they weren't sweet), & iced tea. They got my sandwich completely wrong (asked for yellow mustard, lettuce, & pickles only but got mayonnaise, tomato, no pickles, and no yellow mustard), but they got it worked out, and it tasted great. Only negative is that prices are high. FHG entered last year's Gettin' Sauced!, so I was glad to be able to stop in and patronize. Looking forward to going back for BBQ next time I'm in The Big Easy.

Fat Hen Grocery on Urbanspoon


No comments: