Monday, January 18, 2010

First visit to Pok-e-jo's

I had a great lunch today with Danny and Sam, of Pok-e-jo's Smokehouse, at their Brodie Oaks location (1 of 5 locations). It was my first time at Pok-e-jo's, so trying to decide what to order was no small task. I've only had one BBQ sandwich from a Texas BBQ joint (though they're a staple back in Alabama), but I was in the mood for one today. Even deciding on a sandwich didn't settle the matter, because my sandwich options were brisket, chopped beef, sausage, pork tenderloin, turkey, chicken, and (at this location) pulled pork. I narrowed it down to two (chopped beef and pulled pork), and they were nice enough to do half and half for me. The large sandwich was just the right size, and I enjoyed both halves - though I think I favored the pulled pork. Just "blame it all on my roots."

This location is just a couple of miles from home, and I plan to start stopping in for lunch, so I can sample the other menu items - first up is the half chicken, which looked great.

As far my time with Danny and Sam, they were gracious hosts and just fun to be around. It is always nice to spend time with folks who love their jobs and who work hard to satisfy customers. Still going strong after 30 years, Pok-e-jo's appears to be in great hands.


No comments: