Friday, January 9, 2009

Todd goes it alone at Schoepf's

Here's an email from Todd, a faithful Man Upper, recounting his recent solo visit to Schoepf’s BBQ in Belton, Texas:

During a recent trip from Dallas to Austin, I managed to stop off in Belton for some great pit BBQ. Schoepf's Old Time Pit BBQ (exit 294A - I35‎) came highly recommended and lived up to its billing! Schoepf's fits into the category of pit BBQ...you get your meat first in the pit room and then head on inside the restaurant for your fixins. I ordered 3/4 pound of pork ribs and 1/4 pound of brisket, no sides, just some bread, pickles, and BBQ sauce for the brisket...oh and of course some sweet tea!

The atmosphere is great. With wooden family-style picnic tables, you never know who you might sit with. I had the pleasure of sitting with a local couple who had brought the husband's mom in for some authentic Texas BBQ. She was in town for a Christmas visit all the way from Green Bay, Wisconsin! I loved her commentary as we ate. She kept saying, "I just adore this food!" She enjoyed everything, from the meat, to the sides, to the sweet cornbread. I loved her comments and have never in my life heard anyone "adore" food like that...it was great! On our Man Up visits we all sit around the table and comment and critique the food while we eat, perhaps we should add the word "adore" to our vocabulary.

Ok, so back to my review...The pork ribs and brisket were some of the best I have had. Although they will not overtake Kreuz in Lockhart, they were very good. The ribs were very meaty and had a great taste, very moist, but not dripping in BBQ sauce. The brisket was also very good. My cut was very lean, which I like. I used the free bread and pickles to make a sandwich topped with their BBQ sauce. The one thing I did not like though, was just that...their BBQ sauce. For my taste, it was too runny, spicy, and "vinegary;" it reminded me of living back in Atlanta. Other than that, everything during my visit was delightful! Be sure and stop by on your next trip.

Todd’s scores – Pork ribs: 9.57; Brisket: 9.44; Sweet Tea: 9.4; Overall experience: 9.52

(Read the reviews from Drew & Brad’s trip to Schoepf’s and Mark & Ashley’s trip.)



Schoepf's Old Time Pit Bar-B Que on Urbanspoon

No comments: