Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Jason and Todd Tag Team Schoepf's





Jason and Todd recently made a stop at Schoepf’s Old Time Pit Bar-B-Que in Belton, a place Man Up has visited several times. Here are their thoughts.

Jason:

Schoepf’s is place I enjoy very much; every time I’ve gone I’ve been satisfied with my orders. I ordered of course brisket, venison sausage, sirloin, and a pork rib.

Brisket was very good; great flavor as always here was a lean cut as well and I enjoyed the tenderness still. Venison sausage: wow…amazing, highly recommend this. Sirloin is always great here; again was not disappointed; if you like meat you need to try the sirloin here… nice and medium rare. Excellent flavor and good quality meat. Pork rib was all right.

They looked like they were remodeling as the regular room was closed; they said they were expanding and upgrading the pit and it seems like they were almost done. Should be exciting stuff the next time we come back here. Apparently Cooper’s is planning on locating somewhere near the area…Good old BBQ competition.

Lastly, I must talk about the peach cobbler here. My first 10 on a Man-Up BBQ review! Yes, folks, you heard it, I’m awarding a Ten’er! Peach cobbler off the charts ridiculous! Best I’ve ever had in my life. I would come back here just for this!!! The girls working told us we can get ice cream next door; but honestly didn’t need ice cream; if you like that doughy flakey goodness in your peach cobbler you will love this one. The caramelized sugar on the top of the dough was awesome as well; great sweetness not to sweet and not to bland. Perfect!

Todd:

Despite the fact that we were both in suits and managed to stay clean, I'd say the visit was an immediate success! Upon arrival we were created to a small temporary structure in the front parking lot, as the old pit room was/is undergoing major renovations...We were told it would be better than ever once it's finished! Anyways, I was curious to see if this change affected quality, and am happy to report it did not, the meat was still better than ever. I'll rate the meat below, but the highlight of the trip was the peach cobbler at the end of the meal...words cannot even begin to describe it! And although there was not any Blue Bell homemade vanilla to top the cobbler, all was forgiven when I tasted the first bite. This was hands down the best cobbler I have had to date, and I've had my share! Overall, this was a great trip. I can't wait to see the new pit room which should be opening soon. I only hope the new room will bring new sides...do I hear any seconds for macaroni and cheese?

Chicken: good but room for improvement; Rolls: great yeast rolls with country crock butter! Sweet tea: a stable, a must have; Peach cobbler: the missing Blue Bell ice cream cost this score a perfect 10; Service: the service here is great; Overall: friendly atmosphere, good food, and phenomenal cobbler.

Jason’s scores – Brisket: 9; Venison sausage: 9.9; Sirloin: 9.3; Pork rib: 8.4; Peach cobbler: 10; Overall experience: 9.5

Todd’s scores – Chicken: 8.25; Green beans: 8.5; Rolls: 9.5; Sweet tea: 9.5; Peach cobbler: 9.99; Service: 9.8; Overall experience: 9.68

Overall Man-Up Score: 9.59


Schoepf's Old Time Pit Bar-B Que on Urbanspoon

No comments: