Friday, April 10, 2009

Saturday, March 28, 2009: Opie's Barbecue (Spicewood, Texas)






It's April 10, so, before we get to red meat and juicy swine and what not, Man Up wishes a Happy Birthday to my brother, Scott. And, now, back to what we're all waiting for...

After making the plans late on a Friday night, 7 of us took off from Russell’s around 10:30 the next morning for Man Up’s first 2009 visit to Opie’s Barbecue, which we hit up three times in ’08. Opie’s has been the favorite of mine from the beginning, and this outing did nothing to put its favored status in jeopardy.

The food was outstanding. As usual, the sweet-and-spicy ribs were fantastic. The brisket was probably better than I’ve had during any of my previous visits. The pork loin was a bit dry and was my least favorite. But the pulled pork, which I’ve never had and which is apparently just a weekend menu offering, was awesome. Salty and succulent. Todd, who owns the restaurant with his wife, went out of his way to show us the pit, tell us the history of the restaurant (Did you know that Opie was his old dog?), and answer our questions.

Russell, who has liked Opie’s more each time we’ve visited, shares with us: “This visit to Opies was so good it was beyond my capability to score…almost! I was very tempted to give this visit a 10, but I’m still hesitant to indicate perfection, especially when I did not even give Louie Mueller’s a 10. So 9.99 overall to Opies this time. Pork chop: 10 (Best chop anywhere. Bar none. Period. Your taste buds will thank you for getting this item at Opies.) Sides: 10 (Best tator tot casserole and spicy corn casserole money can buy. This is the one place I’d go back to just for the sides and desert.) Banana Pudding: 10 (Words can’t do it justice, so I won’t try. Best I’ve ever had though.) Pork ribs: 9.99 (Rank right up there with Smitty’s and the Lick.) Brisket: 9.80 (They have come a long way on their brisket, both in flavor and texture.) Pork Loin: 9.75 (Not quite as good as the chop, but outstanding nonetheless.)”

Jason chimes in: “I haven’t been to Opie’s in over a year the last time I went it was actually in the other building; so maybe it’s been 2 years, but it was a long overdue visit. New building and new items! Opie’s from what I remember did not disappoint and today they made a mark in my mind. A mark to come more than just 1x it said you better be coming monthly! Which I just may start doing, along w/ Lockhart and Taylor. Man, we are blessed. So I manned up with Russell and Joel, where we all just got a variety of goodies and shared.

We ordered: Sweet-and-spicy ribs (baby backs), a pork rib, a pork-loin slice, a pork chop, jalapeño sausage, and brisket. Sweet-and-spicy ribs were amazing, fall-of-the-bone tender, great flavor, good spices, and great char. Def. a must for next time. Pork rib was a little lacking today; a little dry; but it did have good flavor. Pork loin slice was good; great taste, decent moisture and tenderness and a lean cut of meat. Pork chop – AWESOME! Best pork chop I’ve ever had. Super moist and very delicious! Super-thick pork chop. I was jealous of Russell as he got to eat off the bone. Jalapeno sausage was also $. It was very very tasty; a very good recipe they got going here. I would def order this again. Brisket was good today as well It was a very lean place but still tender and very flavorful. I also ordered the banana pudding which has become one of my favorite desserts since moving to Austin; I def. found the best one! Wow on that homemade recipe! I want it!!! Best banana pudding I’ve ever had in my life. Super rich, creamy, homemade wafers as well to top that…So good!

Overall, great trip and ridiculous service, as we got a tour of the kitchen and pits. I’m definitely excited about the summer at Krause Springs and a visit to Opie’s!"

Russell’s scores – Pork chop: 10; Sides: 10; Banana pudding: 10; Pork ribs: 9.99; Brisket: 9.8; Pork loin: 9.75; Overall experience: 9.99

Jason’s scores – Ribs (sweet and spicy): 9.5; Pork rib: 8.4; Brisket: 9; Pork loin: 8.5; Jalapeno sausage: 9.6; Pork chop: 9.9; Banana pudding: 10; Service: 9.9; Overall experience: 9.7

Drew’s scores – Ribs (sweet and spicy): 9.9; Brisket: 8.75; Pork loin: 7; Pulled pork: 9.8; Service: 10; Overall experience: 10

Brad’s scores – Ribs (sweet and spicy): 9.25; Brisket: 9; Beans: 8; Sauce: 8.5; Banana pudding: 10; Ambiance: 8.85; Service: 10; Overall experience: 9.88

Overall Man-Up Score: 9.8925


Opie's Barbecue on Urbanspoon

No comments: