Wednesday, October 13, 2010

First meal at Smokey Mo's

This past Friday night, I had my first meal at Smokey Mo's Bar-B-Q, at their Cedar Park location. (I have been to their Liberty Hill location before but just to get an iced tea for the road.) The first thing that stands out is the service I received - even before I got there. It was my first time in the area, and I had to call for directions. Carl, the GM, answered the phone and took his time getting me back on track. He also took his time when I made it to the counter, talking me through the menu and putting samples on the counter for me to try. I was gonna go with chicken (duh), but he gently persuaded me to go with "another bird." So, I ended up with a 2-meat plate: brisket, turkey, green beans, and corn on the cob. Honey-wheat bread. Pickles, Sauce. Large iced tea with lemon.

I liked the brisket more than turkey. The turkey was moist at the outset, but I ate very slowly, so the turkey dried out before long. Not surprising, since turkey doesn't have any fat to help it out. The brisket stayed moist. Made a little brisket and turkey sandwich. I liked the corn more than the green beans. I pretty much never order sausage, but in all honesty, I thought it was the best of all the samples I tasted. It was juicy and full of flavor, with a nice casing. Were my arteries not a big consideration, I woulda been all over it. The meal ended with a long conversation with Carl at my table. Super nice guy, who clearly loves his job. It was nice to see his passion and energy. Throw in 2 Texas high school football games after dinner, and it was a Friday evening well spent.

Smokey Mo's BBQ on Urbanspoon





No comments: