Back by popular demand, local firefighters will participate in the ultimate barbeque throwdown in hopes of claiming the title for best barbeque recipe. The Second Annual Firefighter Q Off is scheduled for Sunday, June 24 from 2 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. at Q on the Riverwalk, located inside the Hyatt Regency Hotel.
In addition to tasting some of the finest barbeque rustled up by San Antonio Fire Department firefighters, guests have the opportunity to learn about fire prevention and grilling safety.
“With the summer season upon us, it’s important to remind folks to exercise precautions when cooking outdoors,” says Hyatt Director of Sales and Marketing Scott Lane. “This is a fun way to accomplish that.”
Deborah Foster, public information officer with the San Antonio Fire Department, says many grilling accidents could be easily avoided by following simple precautions.
The Day’s Events
2:00p .m.-4:00 p.m. Exploring Barbecue and Fire Safety
▪ Firefighter Q Off teams prepare for the barbeque throwdown
▪ Barbecue patrons taste and cast votes for the People’s Choice Award
▪ Antique fire truck tours
▪ Fire safety demonstrations from Sparky and his team along with kid-friendly giveaways
▪ Limited edition Firefighter Q Off apron, cookbook and raffle sales inside Q to benefit the
Texas Burn Survivor Society
4:00 p.m.-5:00 p.m. Heat it Up Competition
▪ Firefighter Iron Chef-style competition behind Q’s wall of fire
5:00 p.m.-5:30 p.m. Q it Off Judging Panel
▪ Celebrity judging
▪ Presentation of winning trophy and prizes
▪ Announcement of raffle and additional prize winners