Friday, June 29, 2012

Dinner at Wood Ranch BBQ (Corona, CA)

Earlier this month, I spent a night in Corona, CA. I'd never eaten tri-tip, so I figured it was the time and place. Drove my rental car to Wood Ranch BBQ, a SoCal chain of 14 "premium-casual" restaurants. Ordered a 2-meat plate with tri-tip, half chicken, broccoli, and rice. It was interesting eating steak with BBQ sauce on it. It was by no means covered/drenched in sauce; just a layer. A good amount. I thought it was cooked a tad too much, but maybe tri-tip isn't supposed to be pink. Someone enlighten me. Like I said, this was unchartered territory for me. I eat my steaks medium rare, but I can't remember if I ordered it MR or medium. It was whatever the waiter recommended. The chicken was rotisserie style. Excellent flavor/seasoning, but the breast was too dry. So was the rice; kinda hard in some places. The chicken stock that was on the plate was welcome for both. Nice, al dente broccoli. Hot bread that I asked them to take away, so that I wouldn't eat it all. Large glasses of iced tea, and they brought a fresh one every time, instead of just refilling the one I had to the point that I ended up, as always, with a glass full of ice. It is rare for a place to bring a fresh tea every time. MAJOR props for this. Plus, their branded to-go cups were huge. Another round of props. The bar, which wasn't very busy, so I had a good bit of time to chat with the two bartenders. Service was excellent. After dinner, I walked over to TAPS Fish House & Brewery for some iced tea and a cigar by the fire pit on their lakeside patio. A good night in Corona.

Wood Ranch BBQ & Grill on Urbanspoon


No comments: