Saturday, October 24, 2009

Q&A with Kerry "Snowman" Bexley (Owner, Snow's BBQ, Lexington, Texas)



As we’re making an early-morning trip to Snow’s BBQ in Lexington today, it’s an appropriate time to post a Q&A with Snow’s owner, Kerry “Snowman” Bexley. Kerry was a fantastic host the first time we visited Snow’s, and we’re looking forward to seeing him again today. Enjoy!

Man Up: How hot is the fire?
Snowman: For our brisket’s which are cooked on in-direct heat I like to keep the temperature around 250–300 deg F.

Man Up: How long does each item stay on the pit?
Snowman: Briskets cook for about 8-10 hrs, pork, chickens, and ribs are cooked over a bed of coals (direct heat) for approx 6-8 hrs.

Man Up: How long do you marinate each?
Snowman: We do not marinate at all, we only use a dry rub that is put on 18-24 hrs prior to cooking.

Man Up: What is your favorite part of working for Snow’s?
Snowman: I guess being the owner the best thing is seeing everyone making their trip to Snow’s a GREAT experience.

Man Up: What is your least favorite part of working for Snow’s?
Snowman: Again being the owner I have no FREE Saturdays and I’m always stressed to be sure all goes as planned.

Man Up: How long do you plan to work for Snow’s?
Snowman: I truly hope that we can continue to please customers for years to come.

Man Up: If you weren’t grilling on Saturdays what would you be doing?
Snowman: It’s been so long I’m not sure. Spending more time with my family and getting in the bed every now and then on a Friday night.

Man Up: How did you learn to grill?
Snowman: I used to just think I could cook and then I learned a lot from Ms. Tootsie and then tried to perfect what she taught me.

Man Up: What is your favorite BBQ item?
Snowman: Definitely the brisket, I take great pride in the quality of brisket we have.

Man Up: In June 2008, Snow’s was named the top BBQ joint in Texas. What is the reaction to the publicity Snow’s has gotten?
Snowman: One thing I have always strived for is success and when I made the decision to open Snow’s I wanted for everything to be the best it could be and when we got the recognition it was great. Yes it has made everyone’s job more demanding, but it is the challenge that I like. I love to meet new people and this has really opened the door for me to meet people from all over the world.

No comments: