Monday, February 6, 2012

First meal at Stiles Switch BBQ & Brew (Austin, TX)

A couple of Wednesdays ago, I made my first visit to Stiles Switch BBQ & Brew, Austin's newest BBQ joint. A couple of other Man Uppers, Todd and J-Pa, joined me. There was a huge rain (thankfully) in Austin the night before, and it caused all kinds of issues for the restaurant & the pit. Nonetheless, they were ready to go for their 11AM opening. As were we. Jason had been to SS; Todd had not. We made our way down the market-style counter and loaded up. Among the 3 of us, we got a couple of beef ribs, several pork ribs, a couple of links of sausage, brisket, turkey, lemon-juice slaw, and corn casserole. It's not cheap, but most market-style BBQ joints aren't. Nice peppery crusts on the ribs & brisket. Only had 1 small bite of Todd's pork ribs, so I can't really weigh in. I enjoyed that 1 bite, though. Had a bigger bite of J-Pa's beef rib. Soft & succulent inside the firm, peppery exterior. Didn't try the sausage. Turkey looked awesome on the cutting board, but it was dry. I really enjoyed the brisket. Nice bark. Fat could render a little more, for more interior moisture & flavor, but very good overall. Liked the sauce. Both sides good. Iced tea way too weak. Friendly staff. Nice ambiance. A much-needed addition to North Austin, for sure. I look forward to going back.

Stiles Switch BBQ & Brew on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

Chuk Hell said...

I love the way that beef rib looks. Reminds me of the ribs at Blacks,