Sunday, December 22, 2013

What's more Texan: BBQ or chili?

Back in April, when I didn't know otherwise, I asked readers whether BBQ is the official food of Texas. I found out later that day via Twitter that Texas, indeed, has an official dish: chili. The past couple of weeks, a nice little debate has popped up about whether brisket should replace chili as Texas' official dish. Well, ribs aren't brisket, but last night, I had chili and pork ribs for dinner (And, yes, I know: Texas chili shouldn't have beans. I'm not from Texas!). Seems appropriate, then, to renew the discussion: What's more Texan: BBQ or chili?


4 comments:

RAEckart said...

You can get good chili in Cincinnati, not sure about good BBQ there.

RWB said...

I moved to Texas in 1997 from Indiana and I've had plenty of good chilli up north but I had never even heard of brisket until I came to Texas

Jim said...

They're equal but separate. I'm a 5th generation Texas. I don't remember a time without both!

Drew Thornley said...

As the commerial says, "'And' is better."