Thursday, September 25, 2008

Battle BBQ: Texas v. Memphis

A good friend of mine from Memphis found the blog this morning. Here is part of his email to me:

Germantown Commissary is within walking distance of my office. They will definitely be serving me a pulled pork sandwich and sweet tea for lunch today. You are making me hungry!!! Christina's dad took me to this place in Southlake, Texas, called Feedstore BBQ for my introduction to TX BBQ. I went in with LOW expectations, but came away a believer. I hate to say it, but it was damn good. I have to keep telling myself that it is ok to like TX BBQ given the fact that we are dealing with 2 different animals. I will probably end up talking to my therapist about this.

After reading his email, I am interested in hearing more on Texas BBQ v. Memphis BBQ. Is one better than the other? If so, why? Can you even compare them, or are they just two different beasts?

Leave some comments, folks. Inquiring minds want to know.

12 comments:

BradSch said...

www.hogsfly.com

Memphis BBQ at it's best. Man Up needs to take a road trip to the center of the BBQ universe. They don't hold the World Championship BBQ Contest in Memphis for nothing!!!

Drew Thornley said...

Uh-oh. I'd say the gauntlet has been thrown down.

Todd said...

hmm...Texas v. Memphis BBQ...

Having eaten both, I feel qualified to evaluate and determine a winner:

Rondezvous: This is the classic rib joint in downtown Memphis. If you like the dry rub, than this place is for you. I don't think they even allow sauce, ha! The ribs are very good, but I tend to prefer ribs that are at minimum moist. The dry rub ribs are so dry it is close to jerky. score: 8.0

Neely's: This is certainly my BBQ of choice while in Memphis. The ribs and pork are moist and juicy. I've been here on multiple occasions and have never left disappointed or hungry. Neely's has even been featured on the Today show with Al Roker! My rating: 9.0

That said, I still enjoy Texas BBQ better, and put my scores and opinions up for debate!

Anonymous said...

Where do I begin...if you are basing anything about Memphis on the Rendezvous BBQ place then you are missing out. After living here for 5 years it is way over-rated, BUT you can't give Texas the best without trying ribs from Blue City Cafe located on Beale Street. Best ribs by far. There are sooo many good BBQ places here depending on what you order. Central BBQ is excellent, BBQ Shop is good...and then the overall winner from BBQ Fest (Memphis in May's World Championships) was a team out of Southaven, MS....since that is practically Memphis, that must mean Memphis has better BBQ
~Natalie B

Anonymous said...

Oh-- and I meant to send you this link! If you haven't seen it somehow, it's pretty much awesome-- one of the best geo-BBQ explanations I've ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ubTQfr_tyY

Drew Thornley said...

Twitter reply: "Of course Texas, no contest"

CC Pork Chop said...

The World's Championship Bar B Q contest is held in Houston Texas each year.

http://hlsr.com/events/bbq/index.aspx

Drew Thornley said...

Twitter reply: " I have had both, Texas #1"

Drew Thornley said...

Twitter reply for Memphis: "Silly question. BBQ is bigger than football here. That means A LOT!"

Drew Thornley said...

Twitter reply: "Texas fer sure"

Drew Thornley said...

Twitter reply: "This is like comparing apples and orange. depends on what's in season. I like both. When I'm craving sweet, its all about Memphis when its salt, give me some Texas Que"

Drew Thornley said...

Twitter reply: "Not being from either area, I like them both!"