Thursday, September 29, 2011

Todd tackles Podnah's Pit (Portland, OR)

Another report from contributor Todd Plunk:

During a recent trip to Portland I went on a search for authentic Texas BBQ and boy did I find it! Helped along the way by a long-time friend of the blog, Aaron Franklin (@FranklinBBQ), I found myself in NE Portland at Podnah's Pit Barbecue, that's pronounced 'pardner' for you Texas folk. With the sign a bit hidden from the road, this was indeed a rare find.

By arriving around 3pm, I missed the lunch rush; it also meant however, I missed Rodney, the owner. I had actually met Rodney back in April at the Texas Wine and Food Festival 'Live Fire' event, but that's another story for another day. I stepped up to the counter, met Felicia and we were underway. Felicia was great, walked me through the menu and even bragged about the beans!

When it came time to order, I went the a-la-carte route ordering 5 different meats, a humble lunch by any means, brisket, pulled pork, pork ribs, chicken, and sausage. Each meat was great, full of flavor and perfectly complimented by home-made sauces. I personally think the pulled pork and brisket stood at the front of the class. When I travel, I use brisket as my barometer for BBQ joints, and I'm happy to say that Podnah's brisket could easily compete with the best Texas joints. I rounded out the meal with some beans, cornbread and yes...sweet tea!

If you are ever in the Portland area, let me recommend Podnah's for great Texas BBQ. I snapped a few photos along the way, hope you enjoy!

Podnah's Pit BBQ on Urbanspoon








No comments: