Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Todd tries Bird Dog BBQ (Colorado Springs, CO)

From contributor Todd Plunk:

Texas BBQ in Colorado? Bird Dog BBQ sure comes close, despite the fact that they are from that state just north of the Red River. After a hard day's work in the Mount Princeton Hot Springs (excellent by the way), I needed something good to eat, so naturally I end up at a BBQ joint. I decided to drive past Rudy's Country Store. No offense, it's just that I can get you in Texas. And through a local recommendation, I found my way to Bird Dog BBQ in Colorado Springs.

The menu offers up brisket, pork spare ribs, turkey, sausage and chicken, along with some sides and dessert. I ordered the Smokehouse sandwich, a sliced brisket sandwich with sausage on top, what a novel idea. The meat was very juicy and packed with flavor. I added a drizzle of their BBQ sauce, which added some extra flavor, but the meat could certainly stand on its own.

I'm not sure if this place is ready to compete with the best of the best in Texas, but for a bunch of Oklahoma boys, it's pretty darn good BBQ and a great option for our readers in CO and those passing through. I snapped a few photos along the way. Hope you enjoy!

Bird Dog BBQ on Urbanspoon




1 comment:

Creed Ford said...

Delicious bar-b-q brisket needs to be moist, tender and slathered in bbq sause. The establishment needs to be family friendly to get that real southern barbeque traditional feel.