Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Jacob reviews opening day at JMueller BBQ (Austin, TX)

Our man Jacob's thoughts on opening day at JMueller BBQ (Austin, TX):

I arrived at 12:30 because I wanted to ensure I would be one of the first ones, lucky for me I was number one so I put up a chair and posted up my lucky first customer spot (John, did you hang my $20 bill on the wall in a frame yet?). The spot and the trailer look amazing. They have some picnic tables set up and a good size lot for parking (although it filled up fast on opening day. All the meats were good to great. Brisket was truly special. Cooked perfectly, great salt and pepper rub, and the fat rendered perfectly and had a slight butter taste to it which made it better. I simply pulled the brisket with my fingers. Also he cut from the whole brisket all the way across, which you can see from the photo leaves the fat in the middle and the top and bottom portion together on the piece. Ribs are st. louis style and also were great, slightly sweet with great smoke flavor. The turkey was heavy pepper and very tender, it worked out perfectly. I liked the flavor of the sausage but the casing was not packed full so it seemed to be unevenly cooked. The pork loin has had great flavor, but wasn't as moist as I would like, a bit to much fat, and it tasted a bit dry; it may have been that I got an unlucky piece because everything else was cooked perfectly (even with the poor weather and humidity during the morning). The BBQ sauce was vinegary and very spicy. It tasted great with the turkey and the sausage. The brisket was cooked so well there was no way I was going to taste it with the sauce and disrespect John like that, but for those that swing that way and enjoy spice I think they will love the bbq sauce. I'm sure there will be some tweaking and small adjustments made as time goes on, but if day 1 was any indication this place will be a favorite for myself and many more BBQ fans. Would mention that prices are a bit high at $14 a pound, but I'm guessing more people should come to expect this for perfection. After all, Austin favorite Franklins is the same price, and the high cost of beef most likely does not help right now. Sandwiches are a reasonable under $5 price, but I did not see one so can't comment on how good of a value it is.

JMueller BBQ on Urbanspoon










5 comments:

Jeremiah Red Johnson said...

Looks amazing. Sounds like you had a good experience. So they just have a set up with a trailer and some tables outside?

Drew Thornley said...

Correct.

Jeremiah Red Johnson said...

Man wish we could get away with doing this in my area. Looks like a good way to eat and enjoy some good friends.

Drew Thornley said...

Where do you live? Why can't it be done?

Belle said...

Awesome.