Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Saturday, July 4, 2009: Schoepf's Old Time Pit Bar-B-Que (Belton, Texas)





Before spending July 4 on sunny Lake Belton, Mark and I took time to honor our country by lunching at Schoepf’s Old Time Pit Bar-B-Que in Belton. It was our first time at Schoepf’s since they renovated. With a new room for ordering from the holding pits and a picnic area out back, Schoepf’s is looking good. The line was crazy. It took me over 20 minutes just to get in the door and another 20 to the register after getting my tray filled with chicken and ribs. By the time I paid, half of my half chicken and one of my two ribs were long gone. It was also burning up, so I was drenched with sweat.

In spite of the large crowd, service was good, as always. I watched co-owner Ronnie Schoepf carefully deal with a group who were sent home with someone else’s order. Ronnie’s service to them was great, enough by itself to make me want to go back (I would’ve anyway).

My food wasn’t that hot by the time I sat, but the ribs were still pretty good, and the flavor of the chicken was fantastic. Mark had a ½ chicken, a ¼ pound of ribs, and took advantage of one of the day’s specials: husk-on corn on the cob for $3. The kernels were tiny, but it apparently tasted great.

All in all, a nice holiday feast.

Mark’s scores – Brisket: 9.1; Chicken: 9.98; Corn on the cob: 9.4; Jalapeno cornbread: 8.6; Sauce: 9.85; Service: 9.8; Atmosphere: 10; Overall experience: 9.94

Drew’s scores – Chicken: 9.2; Pork ribs: 8; Service: 9.7; Overall experience: 9.2

Overall Man-Up Score: 9.57


Schoepf's Old Time Pit Bar-B Que on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

Todd said...

WHAT!!! Corn on the Cob?!?! that's awesome!

I want to go!