Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Saturday, June 13, 2009: The Salt Lick (Driftwood, Texas)





We’ve been many times, but it just never gets old. Eight of us had a Saturday-night dinner recently at The Salt Lick, and it was as good as, or better than, ever. (Judging by the overall score alone, it was our single favorite outing ever.)

I love so many things about the Lick. The drive from Austin. The live music on weekend evenings. The indoor pit. The big wooden tables. And then there’s the food…and the sauce, which IMHO is the best sauce around. As always, the chicken was outstanding; but the big winner for me was discovering that you can order their brisket (which I’ve always found just okay) with just outside slices and burnt ends. This made all the difference. It was fantastic.

Russell’s parents joined us for the second time (first time was Man Up’s first and only visit to Snow’s), as did his sister Dana, who is fast becoming a regular. The man himself is up first:

“My parents (Dan and Betty Parish) both gave the overall experience 10. Great food, great company, great service, and everyone had a great time! Personally, I thought it was all top of the line too. So I’m going to ahead and…drum roll please...give this one my first 10, as well.
The deckle and ribs are what primarily did it. The ribs have always been a 10, and now that I know about the deckle (thanks to new member of our man up crew Anthony and former Salt Lick employee and current man-up regular/all-star Boseph)…well, I just don’t think manning up gets any better than that. Especially after an evening under the oaks with the fam and friends, and then the ability to cap it off at a great local winery like Driftwood vineyards. Ribs – practically falling off the bone, they are best anywhere when smothered with the Lick’s incredible sauce. Deckle – this moist, well-marbled charred brisket is out of this world – as we know, fat is flavor! Pecan pie – excellent a la mode; almost as good as it looks in the pics. Company – including having a good part of the fam there to help celebrate lil sis Dana’s b-day. Atmosphere – how can it get much better than Driftwood, TX? Stay hungry my friends.”

Mark was similarly impressed with this outing: “Chicken - The first and only I may ever give out. May have been biased upwards because it was smothered in the Salt Lick sauce. Sauce – Okay, that's probably the last one i'll ever give out. I could eat that sauce in place of milk with my cereal and it would improve my breakfast experience. Slightly sweet, perfect texture, and just phenomenal taste. Brisket - It's been a week or two since I ate it and all I remember is the impression it left, which was not the absolute best I've had, but not far off. Atmosphere - If I can imagine a better, more relaxing environment for indulging my BBQ senses, I need to start my own place, 'cause I'd make millions. Was there with several good friends, a few tasty beverages, and Russell's family, who regaled us with stories of life in Earth, TX. Might have given it a 10, if I hadn't just sworn not to.”

Russell’s scores – Brisket: 10; Pork ribs: 10; Pecan pie: 9.98; Company: 10; Atmosphere: 10; Overall experience: 10

Mark’s scores – Brisket: 9.91; Chicken: 10; Sauce: 10; Atmosphere: 9.99; Overall experience: 9.96

Drew’s scores – Brisket: 9.8; Chicken: 9.8; Sauce: 10; Atmosphere: 9.7; Overall experience: 9.85

Russell’s parents’ score – Overall experience: 10

Overall Man-Up Score: 9.9525


The Salt Lick Bar B-Q on Urbanspoon

No comments: