Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Saturday, July 18, 2009: Opie's Barbecue (Spicewood, Texas)





After a few of us took a dip in Hamilton Pool, 12 of us manned up at Opie’s Barbecue, a Man-Up favorite in Spicewood. We were fortunate enough to have co-owner Todd Ashmore hang out with us during the meal. The food and the service from the entire staff were fantastic, as always.

No surprise, the sweet-and-spicy ribs (my favorite Texas BBQ order) were great; but the biggest hit of the day for me was the pulled-pork shoulder. Outstanding. I got the first pull from it, and it was what can only be described as hot, salty, flavorful perfection. Great pulled pork in Texas? WHAT?!?!?!?!?!

Anyway, several reviews to get to, with first-time reviewers Travis and Matt leading off.

Travis: “Pork ribs: some of the best I have ever had. Brisket: makes me want to cut it up with my fork and eat it, and then rub the next bite all over my face in a circular motion. Jalapeno sausage: Incredible. Note: it’s hard to mess up sausage, which means that Todd did not get cooking instructions from Brian over at Sam’s. Beans: just like my next door neighbor in El Paso used to make, minus the cigarette ash. Spicy corn: creamy and spicy. I rank it very close to Rudy’s corn, which is the best corn I have ever tasted. Home brew: perfect choice for the summer. Fantastic. Pork loin: tender, juicy, and well seasoned. Banana pudding: Brings me back to the womb in just one trip to the lips. Hospitality: So close, but yet so far away from a perfect 10, which I could only give after an offer (and acceptance) of a foot massage and cigar followed by a Turkish bath. Overall: Opie’s is by far my favorite BBQ place in Texas. If I met someone that had never tasted beef, pork, Kristin’s spicy corn, Kristin’s banana pudding, or Todd’s home brew before, I would take them to Opie’s to try them out for the first time.”

Matt: “My constructive criticism: the sauce needs work: less vinegar, thicker. Brisket: It was some of the most tender and thick brisket, without being fatty, that i have ever had. I think they can add some flavor to it to make it better. Sausage: nothing fancy, but tasty. Sides: top notch for a BBQ place. Cole slaw, the special corn dish, potato salad are all great! Plus, the banana pudding is not the best, but one of the top 3 ever, and has their unique sugar cookie twist. I've never had better hospitality and special treatment that I can recall at any eatery, much less BBQ.”

Dana weighs in: “I really like their brisket even if it was more like a roast, it still ‘melts’ in your mouth tator tot side I really enjoyed and the banana whipped pudding dessert. Not a rib fan of really anywhere and Opies didn't change that. The sausage was forgettable and the pork thing Russell had was not cooked thoroughly, so that brings them down. But, the home brewed beer was excellent. I know what to get next time, and there will definitely be a next time. The owners were super nice, too - plus, plus!!!”

Russell, who never leaves me hanging when it comes to reviews and scores, closes us out: “Opies: I’ve learned what I like here, and that’s what I get. I still think their brisket needs work; but one cannot top their sides (particularly spicy corn and tator tot casserole) and nanner puddin’. The sweet and spicy ribs are awesome and almost as good as Smitty’s and the rib is probably the best meat item. Pork chop was incredibly big and good…once I got it cooked like I like it.”

Travis’ scores – Pork ribs: 9.91; Brisket: 9.92; Jalapeno sausage: 9.93; Beans: 9.94; Spicy corn: 9.95; Home-brewed beer: 9.96; Pork loin: 9.97; Banana pudding: 9.98; Service: 9.99; Overall experience: 9.95

Matt’s scores – Brisket: 9.8; Sausage: 9.6; Sides: 9.8; Overall experience: 9.85

Rachel's scores - Brisket: 9; Sweet-and-spicy ribs: 9.6; Sauce: 8; Service: 10; Overall experience: 9.5

Laurin’s score – Overall experience: 9

Russell’s scores – Brisket: 8.75; Sides: 10; Banana pudding: 10; Sweet-and-spicy ribs: 9.99; Pork chop: 9.93; Overall experience: 9.92

Drew’s scores – Sweet-and-spicy ribs: 9.8; Pulled pork: 9.9; Service: 10; Overall experience: 10

Dana’s scores – Brisket: 9.75; Tater tot casserole: 9.99; Banana pudding: 9.99; Overall experience: 9.25

Brad’s scores – Sweet-and-spicy ribs: 9.25; Brisket: 8.5; Home-brewed beer: 10; Banana pudding: 9; Overall experience: 9

Overall Man-Up Score: 9.55875


Opie's Barbecue on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a Delicious Addition!
Charcoal Barbeque