Tuesday, August 18, 2009

J-Pa goes it alone at Johnny T's in Round Rock.

Jason hit up Johnny T’s in Round Rock, the first time any of us has hit up this joint. Here’s his email, recounting his visit:

Ok…So I just got back from Johnny T’s. I must say it was quite good.

Very moist brisket, pork ribs and some dang good pulled pork! It seems very artificial though; it’s to moist for traditional smoking; maybe the use those modernized smoker boxes…I got the 3 meat plate; w/ 2 sides – green beans and potato casserole. Pretty tasty sides. They got great reviews on yelp for their desserts I was too full to eat that; but I would def. go back to this place.

Brisket was good – very moist; reminded me of the time I had iron works and the brisket was just crazy moist! 8.9. It was lacking that meaty flavor though… you guys know what I mean?

Pork rib – different – too moist and looked different from other pork ribs we get. It almost looked like it was boiled; no charring… and light in color; it was crazy moist as well…Almost wonder how they smoke these things…8.9

Pulled pork – this isn’t a Texas thing; but this was Awesome! They got lots of yelp reviews saying it was good…and yes it was good! 9.5. I’ve had pulled pork before in Chicago…but come on…it’s Chicago we’re not known for BBQ; just steaks!

Overall pretty good; clean establishment; actually pretty small; a big sized group of man up would fill the place. Highlights: they have a pickle bar! Pickled okra, long pickle as well as sliced pickles and pickled jalapenos. Good stuff! I did notice sweet tea was 93 cents for you tea lovers. Price range was decent I got the 3 meat plate for 10 something…I’m stuffed now.

Overall. 9. I’d come here again…. I want to try the dessert: ‘chunky monkey parfait – chunks of brownies, sliced bananas w/ banana pudding’ CRAP kind of regretting I didn’t get it to go…..Ok…just the name and description of the dessert made it jump up a point…9.1

1 comment:

Kyle said...

A lot of the flavor at Johnny T's owes itself to Johnny T himself. He was the head chef at a high end restaurant in downtown Round Rock before he opened his own BBQ place. (probably brought his deserts over too)