Thursday, August 6, 2009

Saturday, July 25, 2009: Louie Mueller Barbecue (Taylor, Texas)





I wasn’t able to take part in this outing, but I only have great things to say about Louie Mueller Barbecue, based on all of my previous visits. The food is great, but what stands out about LMB is its unique atmosphere and outstanding service. We truly feel like family when we’re there, and I can’t say enough about Wayne Mueller and the rest of the staff. Hate it I missed this visit, but, based on the reviews and scores below, it sounds like the crew made it just fine without me.

Russell kicks off the reviews: “The food, the authentic Texas atmosphere and the first-class hospitality offered by Wayne Mueller and staff are unparalleled, and, not surprisingly, our visit this past Saturday was in accordance with the tradition that the Mueller family has set. Wayne is a TX BBQ ambassador and does a tremendous job of visiting with the patrons and making everyone of us feel welcome whenever we are there. As Wayne essentially said this time when we were commending him upon preserving the terrific history of the place: The original part of Louie Mueller’s building was built by his grandfather circa 1906 … and the entire place is a real working Texas BBQ history museum. The historic atmosphere, hospitality (including being served a cold Shiner Bock in a mason jar) – is really priceless and almost impossible to score. The enormous, and enormously flavorful and tender, beef rib continues to be my recommended item here. Love the peppery flavor. The bar has been set high by Mueller’s for their brisket, and unfortunately, I would say that this time around I was not blown away by the brisket. It was moist, but not as tender and flavorful as usual. I had to use sauce! Terrific turkey (moist and flavorful; even though turkey’s not really my thing and not a traditional staple of TX BBQ, it is a must order item here). Pork rib (excellent, in flavor and moistness, just a notch below Smitty’s and the Lick, but definitely on a par with Opie’s and other top notch places). Sides (this is not a sides places at the level of an Opie’s, but I’m not really a sides guy… that said, the slaw and potato salad are definitely above average). Peach cobbler with Blue Bell ice cream (awesome; just about as good as you’ll find anywhere)."

Jason is becoming more and more of a Louie Mueller fan: “Louie Mueller’s is creeping up to my #1, I must say… I like the distance to this place… it’s not very far as you think from Austin (gotta love the new toll roads). This past Saturday was a fine day to get some BBQ before a long hot day on the golf course. This time at Louie’s I ordered Brisket, Beef Ribs and Turkey. The Brisket was excellent; I must have got a different slab then Russell cause my brisket was super moist and super tender…very very tasty! Man I should have ordered more. Beef rib – one of my favorite things at this place; excellent flavor and a good size portion. Got to love that pepper! Turkey – was excellent as well; super moist and tender I only needed my fork to cut the turkey. Of course had some peach cobbler w/ some ice cream – it was piping hot and delicious!! I’ll put it up there as 2nd best peach cobbler I’ve had.”

Todd’s writes: “Every time I visit Louie Mueller's I leave fully satisfied and this last trip was no exception. I ordered a brisket sandwich and a beef rib. Don't waste your time on pork here, stick with the beef! Everything about this establishment is top-notch...the food, the service, the atmosphere, everything. This place is definitely in my top three and is not going anywhere anytime soon! Oh, and the peach cobbler is absolutely incredible...it is a must have.”

Russell’s scores – Beef rib: 10; Brisket: 9.15; Turkey: 9.84; Pork ribs: 9.8; Sides: 8.75; Peach cobbler: 9.97; Atmosphere & Hospitality: 10; Overall experience: 9.86

Jason’s scores – Brisket: 9.85; Beef rib: 9.89; Turkey: 9.8; Peach cobbler: 9.7; Service: 9.9; Overall experience: 9.89

Todd’s scores – Brisket: 9.59; Beef rib: 9.98; Sweet tea: 9.6; Peach cobbler: 9.95; Service: 9.99; Atmosphere: 9.85; Overall experience: 9.93

Brad’s scores – Beef rib: 9.5; Pork rib: 8.5; Brisket: 8.75; Service: 9; Atmosphere: 9; Russell’s driving: 2; Overall experience: 9.5

Overall Man-Up Score: 9.795

Louie Mueller's Barbecue on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

B-Rad said...

Apparently you have never rode with him, but if you ever do I recommend doing it on a empty stomach.