Friday, April 8, 2011

Reader laments for Goode Co.

Reader and friend Bill Peacock (Austin) sent me his thoughts on Goode Co. Bar-B-Q in Houston, and I want to share them with you. On that note, I would love to hear from other readers about their favorite Texas BBQ joints. If you've got a story to share, please do! As for Goode Co., Bill writes,

"Goode Co., in the opinion of this BBQ amateur, makes the best bar-b-q in Texas. I have eaten the same thing EVERYTIME I have been there for the last 25 years or so: chopped beef sandwich (just the brisket chopped up) on jalapeño cheese bread, side of jambalaya rice, and a whole bunch of BBQ sauce smothering my sandwich and jambalaya. In fact, my routine it to ask them to put extra sauce on the sandwich, then also to ask them to give me a little bowl of bbq sauce on the side. I take that, and put some on my jambalaya and continue to administer more as I eat jambalaya and make room in the bowl. Then, about halfway through the meal, I go back for a refill of the sauce, replenish my sandwich as needed, then dump the remaining jambalaya in the bowl with the remaining bbq sauce. Hasn’t changed since I started going there in the 80s. Who says I am unstable? As you can probably tell, it is the sauce that drives my passion, so perhaps I should say that Goode co makes the best bbq sauce in the state. Though not sure that one can differentiate between the two. I mean, what is brisket without good sauce? Last time we drove through Houston, I made Kelly stop so I could eat some on the way back to Houston and bring some home, while she picked up a sandwich someone else (Kelly is not much of a beef eater). I must say, though the bbq and jalapeño cheese bread and sauce were still good for the next couple of days, the jambalaya lacked from freshness. Gotta eat it live in the restaurant, it seems, for best results."

2 comments:

Anne Adams said...

This is a great post!! I'm sure Bill Peacock will be happy to know that he can now find Goode's Original BBQ Sauce at Williams-Sonoma!!!

BBQ Snob said...

"what is brisket without good sauce?" Well that all depends on the brisket. If it's dog food grade brisket, then it's not much without the sauce. If it's perfectly tender and smokey sliced brisket, then it's great brisket which can only be made less good with gobs of sauce.