Thursday, August 12, 2010

The Sugar Shack BBQ (Austin, TX)

Yesterday, I had my first meal at The Sugar Shack BBQ, a BBQ trailer on the UT campus (21st St., just East of Guadalupe). Until I happened upon their website a couple of weeks ago, I had never heard of The Sugar Shack (They opened in October.). Even then, I didn't realize it's on UT's campus - something I discovered by chance last week walking across campus. (Check them out on Facebook.)

The Sugar Shack serves up large BBQ wraps to on-the-go Longhorns. Open M-F and on football gamedays, they keep the menu nice and simple. Four wraps, a half-pound sandwich (your choice of the 4), chips, and drinks. They take credit cards and sit right next to an ATM. And word on the street is that Sugar Shack has plans for a 2nd location on The Drag.

I had the Notorious P.I.G. (pulled pork, mustard-based cole slaw, and red BQB sauce) and The Bama Jama (smoked chicken with diced onions, white BBQ sauce [just the way we like it in Alabama], and "a Hint of Red."). I got jalapenos on both. And both were very good. I'm not sure which one I liked better. The former is their best seller, and the latter is the 2nd best. When pecan's in season, they like to smoke with it; yesterday, they were smoking with hickory and apple.

I'm quite happy that there's quality BBQ just 2 blocks from my classroom. Considering the prime location on a campus packed with students, however, my guess is that I'll have to get in line. More pics on the way later today.






The Sugar Shack BBQ on Urbanspoon

No comments: