Friday, December 3, 2010

Update on DMN's "Best BBQ in Dallas" article

Earlier this week, I posted a link to Dallas Morning News restaurant critic Leslie Brenner's list of the top BBQ in the Big D. And I said that my buddy Daniel had, well, been there, done that. On his site, Daniel noted the striking similarity between the DMN list and his list and that he wasn't credited. Daniel writes, In fact, eight of the nine joints listed by Leslie Brenner were included in my top sixteen list. Given the overall lack of previous coverage in DMN given to most of these places it seemed like parts of my list had just been reused and called original content, so I wrote to Leslie Brenner for clarification. I was told that my list, among many others, was just a starting point, and that since I am merely a blogger that I may not be 'familiar with accepted journalistic practices.' Aww, snap! The Dallas Observer then got in on the action. What say you?

3 comments:

Don O. said...

Well, if you stick it out there on the web it seems to be fair game without referencing. That's just the way it is. When was the last time you saw any newspaper article with a bibliography at the end? Of course, many bloggers don't reference sources, either. The GOOD ones do.

Fewer and fewer folks care about what any newspaper writer thinks about anything. They are slowly going extinct. Daniel has more than enough cred to weather a little plagarism and he will still be doing it and updating long after the DMN guy is gone and forgotten.

Frank M said...

Looks like eater.com picked it up too:
http://eater.com/archives/2010/12/03/dallas-food-critic-sources-best-of-list-from-a-blogger.php#more

Any more pub for the blog and you may HAVE to thank her!!
:o)

Doug Zedler said...

Hack!